Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Going The Distance

It's always been our dream to experience working overseas.

Well, luck is definitely on his side because he recently got offered an opportunity to work in the HK office for almost 3 months. I'm so envious!

It all happened so quickly that we were shocked when he was given less than a month's notice to start his short term stint there. I contemplated asking my boss if I could work from my company's HK office, but didn't try as I knew the proposal would only get rejected.

Well, he's leaving this Sunday and it still feels surreal. We've never gone through a long distance phase in our relationship so I don't know what to expect. I like to think that I'm a relatively independent partner but I'm sure I'll miss him. The Shire will feel emptier and I know there'll be days where it'll get lonely. Who's gonna listen to my work rants, kill the insects in the house and help me with the household chores? :(

But looking on the bright side, I look forward to catch up sesssions with girlfriends (if they have time for me!) and solitude time. It helps too that HK is in the same time zone as Singapore and he'll just be a Skype call away. Thanks to promo fares and redemption of miles, I'll also be flying up to visit him every three weeks, so it's not that bad, right?

6 comments:

  1. It is not that bad at all, babe! :) I gone through the same thing right after marriage too. For good half a year either one of us were traveling every month. While it killed us to be apart that often (and yes, husbands are very useful for insects exterminations) but it made whatever time spent together all the more sweeter. Wine and cheese house parties with girlfriends will definitely help alot too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks babe, I agree that we'll definitely cherish whatever time spent together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this surreal feeling =) And yes u are right, u WILL enjoy the times with ur gal friends, the solitude times and probably this excitement!
    I wasn't sure if I will be the independent girlfriend but my gd friend whose's husband's a pilot on long overseas trainings told me, you'll be stronger than you know and I think it's true =)
    It's great u can see him once every 3 weeks! Something to look forward to! Just a prelude that the parting @ e airport might be a little teary cos it's so for me =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your words of encouragement. I do think this will make me stronger and the time apart will help build a stronger marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha while he is away you can hang out with your girlies at your new place and dress up your place!! Buy little stuff which you love and he may not approve of! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Already planning to do so, especially the second part :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Subscribe: