Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Le Bistrot

We celebrated our 7th anniversary at Le Bistrot, a small French restaurant at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. It was our first time there and we enjoyed the dining experience very much.


It was nice and quiet as we were the first two patrons of the restaurant.

We chose to have an entree, a main course and dessert each. I wouldn't recommend ordering 3 courses unless you are really, really hungry. I'm quite a big eater but even I found that too filling. I'll stick to a 2-course set in future :)

I had the Traditional Onion Soup, which was highly recommended. As a cheese lover, i relished in the generous amount of cheese, on top of the sweet caremelized onion soup. But i found the soup a little too sweet for my liking.

The fiance on the other hand had the Porcini Mushroom Soup which came with a feuilles de brick of foie gras pastry. C'est magnifique! Loved the fragrant whipped truffle oil/cream which was a perfect compliment to the soup. I couldn't help but steal a few spoonfuls of his soup. This was SO good and better than the Onion Soup, in my humble opinion.

For the main course, I ordered the Duck Confit (which I love more than foie gras by the way), served with creamy potato purée. I was surprised by the generous portions because most places only serve one serving of duck leg but mine came with two. A pity the duck was slightly overdone and dry.

He was deciding between the Beef Bourguignon or the Sautéed Beef Tenderloin. I persuaded him to choose the former, only because I wanted to see the dish that had Julie and Julia poring over in the movie. The beef, soaked in the red wine gravy, was soft, tender and very tasty. A nicely done dish, except I felt the serving could have been more.

For dessert, I had the Creme Brulee which also came recommended. According to the waiter, what made it special was the fact that you could choose three flavours out of six. The Earl Grey which i wanted was out, so I had the Dark Chocolate, Mocha and the Vanilla Bean. I didn't enjoy this as much because I'm not a big fan of Creme Brulee.
He had the Warm Dark Chocolate Ganache and Pistachios in Pastry, served with Pistachio Ice Cream. Again, i preferred his choice to mine.

Overall, it was still a good lunch, despite the misses due to my 'wrong choices'. On hindsight, I wish i had picked my options based on my preferences and instead of the recommendations. But at least I know what i won't be ordering, the next time we go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Subscribe: