Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Home (Bitter)Sweet Home

Like other residents who have gotten their keys, I have numerous complaints about our new place, touted as public housing with *coughs* "a private touch".

1) The corridor leading to our unit is too dark in daytime.

2) The flat turned out smaller than we had imagined. Ok, to be fair, we made the decision to buy this flat and it’s not like we didn’t have a choice.

3) The provided laundry rack hardly has enough space for more than a day’s laundry. What’s going to happen when we return from a holiday and have a suitcase of clothes to wash? I wonder what the families with kids are going to do.

4) We can only fit a combined washer/dryer in our tiny yard. Stacking the dryer on top of the washer is not an option because this would block the gas heater.

5) The workmanship and quality of the finishings is disappointing. I found a big hole in my master bedroom bathroom cabinet. My household shelter door cannot be locked fully. The pointings (just learnt this tern a week ago) on my living/dining room floor look, in my ID’s words, “like the home has been occupied for a few years”. All my bedroom doors are poorly vanished and stained. My frosted bathroom windows have scratches on them. I have holes and gaps in my parquet skirting.

6) There is a disparity between the actual flat design and the showflat design i.e At the showflat, the bathroom bay window tiles are identical to the flooring while white tiles are used in reality.

7) There is no link bridge from the second storey of the multi-storey carpark to the residential blocks.

But despite my grievances, I still love the Shire.

It’s not the biggest of apartments and it has some shortcomings, but it is our first home, one that we hope to stay in for a while.


Experimenting with different recipes in the kitchen, weekend brunches at the balcony, playing host to family and friends during festivities and chilling at the bay window at night with a book and glass of Moscato.

I look forward to all these and so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Subscribe: