Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Favourite Fifteen Films

I love lists. Packing lists, to-do-lists, shopping lists, wish lists... you name it, i've got it. So when Miss Ene and The Pleasure Monger each did up a list of their favoruite 15 movies, I knew it was time to compile mine :)

1) Inception
Love the concept. Love Leonardo. Christopher Nolan, you know you’ve successfully incepted the minds of your audience, if you leave hundreds of thousands of people over the world debating over your film’s cryptic ending.

2) Romeo and Juliet
I used to study English Literature in school and enjoyed Shakepeare’s works (although Macbeth and not R&J was part of my curriculum). I liked how Baz Luhrmann put a modern twist to the story. Again, love Leonardo. My best friend and I were so crazy over this show we watched it at least twice.

3) Closer
A depressing but very real portrayal of relationships and infidelity. And Natalie Portman, in my humble opinion, can do no wrong.

4) Lord of the Rings
I’m usually a bit apprehensive when it comes to book adaptations, but I think Peter Jackson exceeded all expectations with this movie trilogy.

5) A Beautiful Mind
It’s difficult to pinpoint what I love about this show. Is it the moving story of how John Nash's fiercely loyal wife stands by him while he struggles with schizophrenia? The brilliant John Nash and his formulas? Or was it the stirring soundtrack by the prominent James Horner? Whatever it is, it definitely deserved the Academy Awards it picked up.

6) Up

I laughed, I cried and till today, I am still inspired to follow my dreams and make my trip someday to my Paradise Falls’, wherever that might be.

7) Harry Potter
I loved the books which obviously are richer in details but there’s nothing like seeing Hogwarts come alive on screen. Would love to visit the theme park in Orlando if I could!

8) Life is Beautiful
A poignant story of a father’s love, set against the backdrop of the concentration camps during World War II. This movie celebrates what matters to us most - life, hope and love.

9) Avatar

This is a show which you either love or hate. Despite what some people might say about the storyline being contrived (Dances with Wolves meets Pocahontas), I love the mysterious world of Pandora and I think James Cameron is a genius.

10) In The Mood For Love
In all honesty, I thought the pace of the film was a little slow. But I included this because Maggie Cheung (in a cheongsam) and Tony Leung make an irresistible combination. Plus, who can forget the beautiful cinematography?

11) 27 Dresses

Like The Pleasure Monger, I adore this chick flick and can relate to Katherine Heighl’s character. Like her, my favourite part of a wedding is the look on the groom’s face when he sees his bride walking in. Why do you think I’m keeping my gown a surprise (hopefully a pleasant one) from the fiancĂ©? :)

12) Titanic
Again, another one of Leo’s shows. If I could, I’d include all of his shows in this list. Hey, I’ve got to be objective, right? But seriously, I had to include this movie.

13) Brokeback Mountain
I thought the leading actors, especially Heath Ledger, acted really well in this show and I was touched by the characters’ love for each other. A quietly powerful movie about forbidden love. Until today, the line "I wish I knew how to quit you" still resides in my memory.

14) Twilight
Don’t ask.

15) Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Audrey Hepburn. New York City. Tiffany and Co. Poor boy and wannabe rich girl fall in love. Moon River. A classic romantic comedy!

P.S I feel like re-watching some of these favourites this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Subscribe: