Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Wedding Outfits

In light of the recent Royal Wedding fever, I'm taking a break from my remaining Maldives entries to feature my wedding outfits from Dang Bridal.

For the morning, I wore a short made-to-measure lace cheongsam with scalloped sleeves and skirt hem, while the husband wore a black suit with a pale pink shirt, both from Tessuti and a silver tie from Topman.

Photo taken by the sister's bf

Dang had asked what colours I was thinking of for the cheongsam during my first appointment.

When I told her I wanted a bright cheongsam, like the red and blue, diamond cutout bareback one she made for Fiona Xie previously, she shook her head disapprovingly. "You can wear those cheongsams for other occasions. As a bride, you need to wear something more resplendent."

She then showed me a bale of pink sequinned lace, which I had reservations about. I'm not a big fan of pink and I was afraid of looking overtly sweet. I loved the blue and orange cheongsam Lin wore for her wedding (Dang is known for playing with bold, contrasting colours with her cheongsams) and I wanted a similar contrast of colours.

"Trust me. You will look good in this."

And with those words, I took a leap of faith.

I'm very glad Dang insisted I follow her advice because I received many accolades from family and friends. I can't thank her enough for the beautiful cheongsam and wedding gown.

Love the pink buttons that adorn the back of the cheongsam

Dang kept my morning bouquet simple by using a bunch of pale green roses tied with white lace.


I made an unconventional decision not to don the wedding gown for the morning part of the wedding. I thought it would be more practical to wear a lighter dress for the tea ceremony and I found it troublesome to change from the wedding gown to the cheongsam. More importantly, I wanted to save the best for the last. I wanted to reserve my gown for the special moment where I walked down the aisle towards the man I was going to marry.

My Mom and MIL didn't take well to this, naturally. They both felt a girl had to wear her wedding gown when she left her home to 出嫁 (get married). It was frustrating because while I didn't want to upset them, I couldn't see the big fuss about not wearing the gown in the morning. After all, it's not like I wasn't going to not wear the gown at all, right? In the end, I stuck to my guns and I'm glad I did because it poured non-stop (our wedding was the wettest day in January on record!) and my gown would have been dirtied had I decided to wear it that morning.

Next up, the wedding gown.


 

It was love at first sight, when I saw the off the rack gown at Dang's studio.

When Dang added that the gown was inspired by a similar Oscar de la Renta design, I was sold in an instant. The gown had a toga strap, made of tulle, which I asked Dang to remove, for my MTM version. For the evening, the husband wore a white shirt and a slim black tie from Zara, with his Tessuti suit. Call me biased, but I thought he looked dapper :)

The sweetheart neckline and the criss cross of tulle, over the lace bustier

Loved the details of the skirt, made of silk organza. Dang dyed the gown herself from white to off-white.

 

My wedding bouquet, made up of ivory roses and blush and pink eustomas, was also by the very talented Dang.

All photos, with the exception of the first, taken by Eadwine from Plush Photography. Please do not reproduce without permission.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, your wedding gown looks stunning!!! Beautiful flower bouquet, too! I think sticking your decision to reserve your wedding gown for the special moment was good. You just have to trust your own feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kaho! Agree about the trusting your own feelings part :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your cheongsam, you look beautiful, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks babe! A pity it's one of those dresses I probably can only wear once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous!! both dresses are beautiful choices! love the flowers too..i used eustomas and roses as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Z, is ur cheongsam dress available for rent or sale? I am a mango xs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, I'm afraid I won't be renting out or selling my cheongsam because it holds a special meaning to me. Perhaps you could drop by Dang Bridal to take a look at their lovely cheongsams :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Subscribe: