Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Confessions of a Bride-To-Be #14: Hey, I'm Not For Sale!

If there's one Chinese wedding tradition i would like to abolish, it would be Guo Da Li.

Maybe i am too modern for my own good, but i don't believe in betrothal gifts, dowry and what nots. This tradition probably made sense in the past where matchmaking was prevalent but it just seems archaic to me in today's context.

A marriage should not be a transaction between two families. I don't want to have a value placed on me.

But as we both realised a while back, a wedding or marriage isn't always about the two of you. It also involves your families.

And that's why we decided we should arrange for our parents to meet to discuss this iffy topic. So at least both sides can come to an agreement, no matter whether they decide to do away with this. And yes, the date has been set for this Sunday.

It will be interesting to see how the talk unfolds. If our parents decide to go ahead, we will respect their wishes. But I sure won't be practising this in future when my kids get hitched.

2 comments:

  1. This post brings back "fond" memories of my guo da li and Ping Jin negotiation...
    I was dismayed to find out that I was actually on sale. And since we are footing the entire bill ourselves so we ended up "buying" me.. If that makes sense at all! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this whole ping jin/dowry thing just doesn't make sense to me! PS, going to Dang's for my first fitting later this morning. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Subscribe: