Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Long and Short of It

I've got a love hate relationship with my long hair.

Hate it because i've got an unruly, thick, slightly wavy hair which is un-tameable in Singapore's humidity, which is why i love travelling in temperate climates btw. My hair also takes an extremely long time to wash and dry. And i don't use a hairdryer as it leaves my hair more damaged. Because of that, i only wash my hair before i sleep and not before i go to work. I'd rather spend the extra time sleeping. Most of the time, i tie my hair up in a ponytail because it's neater that way.

Strangely, my hair's straighter and more manageable when it's short.

Why do i still bother?

Besides wanting to have more versatility in terms of hairdos for my wedding (bridezilla alert), i guess in a way i'm fulfilling my childhood 'dream'.

You see, when i was a kid, my Dad, who used to cut my hair (and give me short, helmet hairstyles by the way), didn't allow me to keep my hair long in Primary school because he thought it was hard for me to wash and dry. You can imagine how upset I was, seeing all my friends in school with their ponytails and long, braided hair. But looking back, I know he meant well, as different his thinking might have been from other Dads :)

Then i moved on to a Secondary School, where the Dictator Discipline Master could have been the second Hitler. Knee length skirts, bags no smaller than a certain size plus other ridiculous school rules which i will not scare you with. And hair which SHOULD NOT touch the collar. Because of that, I could never get past the growing-your-hair-long in-between stage. You know, the phase where you can't tie your barely there shoulder length hair without the loose hair coming out. I only managed to keep my hair past my shoulder in Junior College, for the graduation prom. Since then, i've alternated between short and long hair, depending on my mood.

The last time I had short hair was 2 years ago.

June 08

Oh how I miss the low maintenance. I could just wash and go without worrying about frizzy ends.

I can't wait to snip the locks off post-wedding. Another reason to look forward to the big day :)

3 comments:

  1. Déjà vu... my mom forbade me to keep long hair when I was in Primary. Sec school rules also forbade us to keep long hair (ie cannot touch collar). I only kept my hair long in Uni... -.-""

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought i was the only one! Sounds like you were from a 'Chinese' sec school too :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Subscribe: